King Phillip II of France demanded a stone wall be built to protect the capital, and the Louvre Palace, in particular, against the English in the late 12th century. The structure is split into two parts – the Right Bank and the Left Bank, and today remnants of the barrier, the oldest urban wall in the city, are scattered throughout.
This Right Bank portion of the wall was completed in 1209 and was the most crucial angle to cover as the English were most likely to attack from the northwest direction. By the 16th century, the majority of the sturdy barrier was demolished, however, today the remains can be found in eight different spots throughout the area, but are now blended in with the more modern architecture, making it difficult to view. However, the most obvious sections of the wall are the sites where it was completely knocked down, as the evidence lies within the marks on the pavement.